(MEE) Four Yemenis released from the US prison at Guantanamo Bay arrived Thursday in Saudi Arabia where they had a tearful reunion with relatives, after the White House rejected a freeze on transfers.
The four were among 59 prisoners who were still being held in the detention centre in Cuba.
In the Saudi capital, an AFP reporter saw the four prisoners after they landed at a terminal normally reserved for royals at the Riyadh international airport.
Prisoners and family members wept as they saw each other for the first time in years.
One of the released inmates, Salim Ahmed bin Kanad, told reporters he felt “born again” after seeing his relatives.
Another, Mohammed Bawazir, said he hoped to move on and forget the past.
“I want to give back to my family the 15 years I lost,” he said.
Officials identified the other former prisoners as Mohammed Rajab Abu Ghanim and Abdullah Yahya al-Shalabi.
On Tuesday, US President-elect Donald Trump tweeted: “There should be no further releases from Gitmo. These are extremely dangerous people and should not be allowed back onto the battlefield.”
There should be no further releases from Gitmo. These are extremely dangerous people and should not be allowed back onto the battlefield.
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) January 3, 2017
Hours later, outgoing President Barack Obama’s spokesman, Josh Earnest, said he would expect “additional transfers” before Obama hands power to Trump on January 20.
Saudi King Salman has said the four Yemenis who arrived Thursday will live in the kingdom, where they will take part in a rehabilitation and de-radicalisation program, the interior ministry said in a statement.
The bearded ex-prisoners appeared healthy and were all dressed in two-piece Pakistani-style tunics.
One prisoner was welcomed by 21 relatives, including children, but only a handful greeted the others.
A lone woman waited for one of the inmates.
Obama came to office eight years ago vowing to shutter the Guantanamo facility because, he said, detention without trial did not reflect American values.
But he has run up against political and legal hurdles, Pentagon foot-dragging and stubborn Republican opposition in Congress.
With Guantanamo’s closure blocked, Obama’s White House has focused on whittling down the number of inmates.
Before Thursday’s transfer, around 20 of the remaining prisoners had been cleared for removal. But finding countries to take them has often proven time-consuming.
Only a handful of those who remain have started moving through military tribunals, including the alleged plotters of the 9/11 attacks.
This article (4 Guantanamo Inmates Transferred to Saudi Arabia) by MEE and agencies originally appeared on MiddleEastEye.net and was used with permission. Anti-Media Radio airs weeknights at 11pm Eastern/8pm Pacific. If you spot a typo, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Since you’re here…
…We have a small favor to ask. Fewer and fewer people are seeing Anti-Media articles as social media sites crack down on us, and advertising revenues across the board are quickly declining. However, unlike many news organizations, we haven’t put up a paywall because we value open and accessible journalism over profit — but at this point, we’re barely even breaking even. Hopefully, you can see why we need to ask for your help. Anti-Media’s independent journalism and analysis takes substantial time, resources, and effort to produce, but we do it because we believe in our message and hope you do, too.
If everyone who reads our reporting and finds value in it helps fund it, our future can be much more secure. For as little as $1 and a minute of your time, you can support Anti-Media. Thank you. Click here to support us